By Tim Kowols
A Sunday night chimney fire in the town of Union is a reminder of the fire dangers that can come with colder weather. Furnaces, wood burning stoves, and fireplaces are all getting fired up for the first time this week without some of the proper precautions preceding it. Brussels-Union-Gardner Fire Chief Curt Vandertie says hiring the proper contractors to inspect and clean your heating units can prevent events like Sunday’s chimney fire from occurring.
Vandertie added that the upcoming beginning Daylight Savings Time is a good time to check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.