By Paul Schmitt
After months of researching and locating cornerstones on Sturgeon Bay’s sidewalks that had the labeling street names, the Door County Historical Museum is opening the exhibit. The museum furnishes an accompanying map to allow visitors to take a nearby walking tour to see the 18 historic stamped stones that have been located and photographed. Assistant Curator Ginny Haen explains the confusing pre-1943 system of naming streets.
An app is being developed and should be done soon so that the tour can be followed on a smartphone. The Door County Historical Museum is open daily from 10 am until 4:30 pm and is located on the corner of Fourth Avenue and Michigan Street in downtown Sturgeon Bay.
photo submitted–corner of Maple and Joliet on the west side of Sturgeon Bay