The Door County League of Women Voters urges residents of the Gibraltar Area School District to support their school’s educational programs.
In 1993 the state instituted revenue caps limiting how much a school district could increase its total revenues each year. In all five of the public school systems in Door County, referendums are now required to raise property taxes to maintain school services.
Since 1927 the League of Women Voters at the national, state and local levels has studied and promoted improvement of public education and we continue to support a system of school funding which:
- Includes an educational aids formula which primarily equalizes taxing rates and spending per student.
- Ensures that a child's opportunity for a good education is not limited by the fiscal ability of the local district.
- Promotes equality in educational opportunity for all Wisconsin students.
The current school funding system and restrictive revenue limits for schools is failing and harming Wisconsin’s students. Districts have eliminated teacher and staff positions, curtailed class offerings and programs, not replaced needed textbooks and resources, and postponed building maintenance. Fund balances are disappearing; many schools in Wisconsin are in desperate financial straits.
What can you do?
1) To meet the immediate needs of the Gibraltar Area School District the voters can vote YES in the November 6th educational programming referendum.
2) Long term, all Wisconsin residents should communicate to their legislators that an improved system to fund Wisconsin's public schools is essential.
Please support the Gibraltar school community and their young people by supporting quality education. Gibraltar children deserve an education that is rich in academic, activity, arts and athletic experiences.
Door County League of Women Voters
Martha Beller & Shirley Senarighi, Co-Presidents