The holidays are here! Time for family, friends, and FOOD! Don't be a victim of self sabotage this season. It is possible to enjoy all of the festive treats and stay on track to feeling better and living longer.
Here are a few tips to keep your holidays happy and healthy:
- Plan ahead: Plan to eat a healthy snack before going off to a holiday party, so you won't be overly hungry and likely to overindulge.
- Beware of portion distortion: Limit the size of entrees and desserts. And remember, just because the cookies are bite size, doesn't mean you need to eat 10 of them!
- Take it easy on the alcohol: Enjoy a glass of wine or your favorite cocktail, but set a limit to 1 or 2. Alcohol can lower your inhibitions and create blood sugar swings, leading you to make poor choices. Don't drink and drive.
- Focus on fruits and vegetables: Not only are these nutritious, but they are packed with fiber which keeps you fuller longer.
- Stay hydrated with water: Water will help you avoid the dehydrating affects of alcohol, and may keep you from snacking when you aren't really hungry. Drinking sparkling water with lime will keep you refreshed and help you avoid the some of the extra calories of Christmas cocktails.
- Practice mindful eating: Chew slowly and savor the texture and flavors of the foods. Take in the aromas and breathe deeply as you will create a lasting memory of the holiday festivities. You don't want to wind up on the couch uncomfortable and unable to enjoy being with family and friends.
Wishing you all a Healthy Holiday Season!
Jody Anderson, RN, CHC
Succeed Health, LLC- Algoma