As hunters get ready to open up seasonal cabins or set up shop in campers or tents for the upcoming deer season, they're reminded to keep in the mind the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that can be produced by improper burning and venting of fuels like natural gas, propane or kerosene.
Sister Bay-Liberty Grove Fire Chief Chris Hecht says CO build-up in cabins, campers, tents and other enclosed spaces can be deadly.
Hecht says a carbon monoxide detector is not expensive and can provide both safety and peace of mind.
"We talk about the need for blaze orange and knowing what's behind your target and all those hunter safety issues," says Hecht. "This carries through right into that type of thing."
Hecht says it's also a good idea to check chimneys and vents for animal and bird nests and other obstructions.
"Take your flashlight, take a mirror and take a look up that chimney and make sure that it's unobstructed," says Hecht. "Even a partial blockage initially may seem like it's fine but as time goes on over the course of the night something may change and you wind up with a blocked chimney."
Initial signs of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, confusion and general flu-like symptoms. Fresh air is immediately required so windows and doors should be opened and occupants should go outside. If there are serious health concerns, dial 9-1-1 and request immediate assistance.