Door Concerts, Inc. is still very much alive and will provide a concert series for 2012-2013. The 29th consecutive season of Door Concerts will begin on October 18, 2012.
The organization has released the following schedule:
1. “Pro Arte Quartet:” Now in its 100th year. Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 7:00 P.M. at Hope Church.
2. “Cahal Dunne,” singer, pianist, raconteur, “one of the great Irish Tenors.” Friday, October 26, 2012 at 7:00 P.M. (Venue to be announced).
3. "Renaissance Band of Milwaukee,” Last week of November or first week of December 2012. (Venue to be announced).
4. “The Seven Last Words of Christ.” Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 7:00 P.M. Venue, exact date and identities of the entire ensemble to be announced along with the seven to eight speakers.
5. “Craig Terry, and Hugh Russell," pianist and baritone from the Lyric Opera Company of Chicago, Illinois. 7:00 P.M. at the Moravian Church.
The complete bios of all performers and the music to be performed will be made available soon. The venues, which are being confirmed by the present board of directors and the local church administrations, include: Hope United Church of Christ, St. Peters Lutheran Church, Moravian Church, Prince of Peace Lutheran Church and Corpus Christi Catholic church, all of Sturgeon Bay.
The goal of Door Concerts Inc. is to bring affordable, world class classical performances to Door County and make them accessible for all ages to enjoy. The organization's continuation as Door Concerts Inc. moves forward with the approval and cooperation of current member-subscribers of Door Concerts Inc.
The future of the non-profit corporation was in doubt after the group's former board of directors voted in January to dissolve the organization, citing increasing costs and decreasing membership.
The group says many were involved in the effort to keep Door Concerts afloat, including David Folin, past booking agent Allied Concert, Inc., Gustave (Gus) Abrahamson, founder of Door Community Concerts, (now Door Concerts, Inc.), Jim Berkenstock, co-director of Mid Summer Music, Inc., the newly formed board of board of directors and officers of Door Concerts, Inc. with Jim Ebbeson acting as Interim board president, and the newly appointed consultants to the board of directors, including Berkenstock, Abrahamson, Inge Bacon and Russ Dagon.
The organization is seeking new members and volunteers. Those who'd like more information are asked to contact any of the current board members: Jim Ebbeson at 920-743-3755; Sara Anschutz at 920-737-4809; Peg Royseck at 920-743-3153; Mark Thiede at 920-495-3635; or Scott Schlicher at 262-443-0015.