Firefighters in Sturgeon Bay were called to a fire at Stone Harbor Resort and Conference Center Tuesday evening.
The call came in to dispatchers at 7:10 p.m.
Stone Harbor General Manager Nancy Bertz says the fire was in one of the guest suites. She says it appears to have started because an ottoman was placed too close to a fireplace.
In addition to the response of the Sturgeon Bay Fire Department, there were other hands available. The hotel is hosting the State Firefighters Convention this week, so several hundred firefighters were in the building. Because of that, Bertz says she wasn't sure at first if there was actually a fire.
No one was injured and Bertz says the fire was contained to the living room area of the third-floor suite, which is on the northwest side of the building.
"It was put out quickly and no one was injured and that's the main concern of everyone," says Bertz.
Fire Chief Tim Herlache says the sprinkler system in the room engaged and doused the fire.
"If it hadn't been for the sprinkler system that would have been a major, major fire," says Herlache.
Herlache says fire damage was contained to the fireplace and ottoman with some smoke damage to the room, but he says water did the most damage. "It totally flooded the unit out and then water dripped down to the next two floors below it," he says.
Bertz says the hotel is "full to the brim" this week. She says in addition to the firefighters they have another corporate group coming in today.
Photos by the Sturgeon Bay Fire Department