Health is not merely the absence of disease, nor is wellness the absence of illness. Health and wellness can have a unique definition based upon and individual's personal experiences and preferences. But, most would agree that the whole is greater than the sum of our parts, and a cumulative balance is desirable in getting you to "Feel Better and Live Longer!"
So to achieve this goal, you must begin to look at your body's basic needs like food, water, shelter, physical activity and sleep, just for starters. Although seemingly simply stated, each need requires a complex focus when working to maximize your health. Here are a few recommendations to consider on your journey.
• Eat whole, natural foods that maximize nutrient content. And remember, not all food is created equal. The goal is "nourish to flourish", not just fill an empty tank. Hence, avoid overly processed foods, which are health depleting.
• Drink more water. The body is roughly 75% water, so it makes sense to keep this essential fluid in balance and replenished. Drink good quality water, your health is worth it!
• Create a strong shelter, by surrounding yourself with a safe, loving, and nurturing environment. This includes having healthy relationships that support you, finding work you love, and developing spirituality.
• Get physical by finding exercise that you enjoy and doing it regularly.
• Get some sleep! This is much needed time for your body to rest, repair and rejuvenate.
Better health begins with determining what is important. Focus on these essential needs as a whole, fine tuning each area as you go. Trust your instincts and know that positive step you take will lead you to "Feel Better and Live Longer!".
Jody Anderson, RN, CHC, AADP
Holistic Health and Nutrition Counselor
Succeed Health, LLC