The holidays embrace traditions like spending time with family and friends and feasting on delicious holiday foods. Unfortunately, fesitve eating can lead to unwanted weight gain...just ask Santa! Nearly 60% of adult Americans are not exercising on a regular basis. This lack of physical activity is a top risk factor for chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes, cancer and high blood pressure.
This holiday season, don't let exercise slip to the bottom of your list. Try a few of these tips to get you moving:
- Develop a fitness ritual: rituals create familiarity and control. Try setting a regular time to workout or commit to a regularly scheduled fitness class. Set a reminder on your smartphone or add it to your calendar like you would for an important meeting.
- Try the buddy system: a fitness partner can keep you motivated and provide added support. Knowing that someone else is relying on you to help hold them accountable is also a great motivator.
- Make the most out of your last minute shopping trips by taking a few laps around the mall or grocery store before you stop and shop.
- Bundle up and head outside: try some outdoor activities like sledding, skiing, or ice skating to burn calories and get your heart pumping.
- Take an evening stroll: explore different neighborhoods by taking a brisk evening walk to enjoy the holiday lights and decorations.
Make the most out this holiday season by increasing your physical activity. You will certainly "Feel Better and Live Longer!".