By Tim Kowols
A stray ember from a chimney may be to blame for an Ellison Bay house fire Thursday morning. The Sister Bay/Liberty Grove Fire Department responded to the blaze on North Berry Lane just before 9 a.m. after the home’s owner called 911. The owner was moving his car when he noticed flames climbing up the side of the home next to the chimney. The fire spread and the roof had dropped into the living room as crews arrived. Sister Bay/Liberty Grove Assistant Fire Chief Mike Goldstone says it is impossible to tell for sure if the fire originated through the fireplace all the way to the roof.
No one was injured in the fire. Goldstone thanked the department’s mutual aid partners in Jacksonport, Gibraltar, Egg Harbor, Baileys Harbor and Ephraim for their help saving most of the home and helping bring in water since no fire hydrants were available.