By Paul Schmitt
A fire late Monday night in the town of Nasewaupee destroyed a garage and house. Southern Door Fire Chief Chuck Cihlar says his department responded to 6543 Tagge Road shortly after 10:30 Monday evening. He describes the scene that required mutual aid from the Algoma and Bug Fire Departments.
A bug zapper ignited the fire when the man renting the house was draining gas from a jet ski in the garage. Cihlar says that man, a woman, and child along with a visitor were able to escape unharmed. One firefighter suffered minor injuries and went to the hospital as a precaution. The Southern Door Fire Department was at the scene for nearly four hours, according to Cihlar.