By Tim Kowols
Winter necessities like windshield wiper fluid and antifreeze is proving to be very dangerous for pets. One of the active ingredients in the two products, ethylene glycol, is highly poisonous when ingested. The chemical, according to the Humane Society of the United States, has a sweet taste and an inviting aroma making it attractive to pets and even small children. April Delfosse from the Door County Humane Society says with its high usage in the winter months, pet owners need to take proper precautions with the deadly liquids.
Delfosse says if your pets do end up drinking antifreeze you should call your vet as immediate action makes it more likely they will survive. In 2012, some manufacturers of antifreeze added a bittering agent voluntarily to deter pets from drinking it.