By Paul Schmitt and Tim Kowols
A burning candle may be to blame for a fire igniting a home in Sturgeon Bay Monday evening. The Sturgeon Bay Fire Department was paged just after 7:30 p.m. to the fire at 1129 Rhode Island Street and saw flames and smoke emerging from the house as they arrived. Sturgeon Bay Fire Chief Tim Dietman says the home’s owner, Mary Kasten, told firefighter she had lit a candle in the kitchen before going into the living room to watch television.
Kasten was able to get out safely with her pets before the fire damaged parts of the home’s kitchen, dining room, bedrooms, and attic. Dietman says there was extensive damage to the home, but the insurance company will determine if it is a total loss.
FROM MONDAY NIGHT
The Sturgeon Bay Fire Department responded to a house fire at 1129 Rhode Island Street in Sturgeon Bay at about 7:30 pm Monday night. The lone occupant of the home, Mary Kasten, was able to escape the fire unharmed. Fire Fighters were still on the scene as of late Monday night. No further details are available at this time. A full report on the fire will be available Tuesday.
(photo by Chris Ranly)